In May, gardeners and summer residents in Ukraine have a lot of work to do, as this is the time when a large number of crops are planted. In particular, strawberries and vegetables are sown, and flowers and fruit tree saplings are planted in this month.
At the same time, plants already planted in May need to be fertilized and treated for pests. Experienced summer residents use the lunar calendar to get the best harvest.
The most favorable dates for sowing seedlings in May 2023 will be May 3-4, 6-7, 10-11, 14-15, 23-24, and 30-31. However, each crop has its own specific dates, in particular
- onions and garlic - May 3, 4, 10, 11, 23, 24, 30, 31;
- tomatoes - May 23, 24;
- Dill, parsley, and other herbs - May 3, 4, 14, 15, 30, 31;
- carrots - May 6, 7, 14, 15;
- beets - May 6, 7, 14, 15;
- cabbage - May 2, 14, 21, 24, 30;
- eggplants, peppers - May 3, 4, 6, 7, 14-17, 30, 31;
- Zucchini, pumpkin - May 3, 4, 23, 24, 30, 31;
- potatoes - May 10, 11, 14, 15;
- annual flowers - May 1-4, 28-31;
- strawberries, grapes - May 6, 7, 20-24;
- perennial flowers - May 1-4, 28-31;
- fruit trees - May 3, 4, 30, 31.
In addition, on May 1-3, you should thin out seedlings, weed out weeds, and fight pests. Weeding, fertilizing, and whitewashing trees will take place on May 7-8.
For the next four days, you should pay attention to sanitary pruning of trees, fight pests and diseases, and water and fertilize plants abundantly. After that, on May 16-17, you should start pruning dry and diseased branches, grafting, digging, and loosening the soil.
On May 21-24, you should cut branches, graft plants, and whitewash trees. For the next two days, it is better to pay attention to digging up the ground and sanitary pruning of branches.
As a reminder, the sowing season begins in spring, nature comes to life, and insects return with it. Some of them, such as ants, can harm your plants, so you need to fight them. Read how to do this in our article.
If you want to get the latest news about the war and events in Ukraine, subscribe to our Telegram channel!